[ubuntu-uk] jeOS!! umm does it work?

Michael Holloway michael at thedarkwinter.com
Mon Jan 14 09:30:59 GMT 2008

On Sat, 2008-01-12 at 14:27 +0000, Tom Bamford wrote:

> I've just installed JeOS 7.10 on VMware Workstation 6.0.2 on an Ubuntu
> 7.10 i386 host. It installed perfectly using an IDE emulated hard disk
> and now it's updated. One cool thing I noticed is that the VMware guest
> kernel modules are included already in JeOS, that is vmhgfs, vmblock,
> vmxnet and vmmemctl.
>
> I used to have a problem installing Dapper Server 6.06 on older versions
> of VMware. The solution I found was to use the desktop kernel rather
> than the server kernel as I couldn't get the server kernel to boot on
> virtual hardware. It's been ages since I had this problem though, I
> doubt it's even the same issue. What version of VMware software are you
> running?
>
> Regards,
> Tom

Thanks for all your input. As far i understand it: jeOS is a lightweight
distro that does not include any unnecessary software, drivers and
kernel modules that are normally included for compatibility. I.E. They
do not need to include compatibility for 1000s of NIC cards, because all
it needs is the PCNet driver the VMWare emulates.

version 1.0.2 and 1.0.4. I think that is a fair spread to try on. 1
Thing that you said that stands out is that you used IDE. i always use
SCSI but i think its worth a try... thanks.

Cheers,
Michael