[ubuntu-uk] df and du give different results

Chris Rowson christopherrowson at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 16:04:52 GMT 2008

On Jan 3, 2008 3:44 PM, LeeGroups <mailgroups at varga.co.uk> wrote:
> Concentrate on the DF's results. I can't remember the syntax but you can
> grep for file sizes.
> Start with files over 50M and work downwards.
> I have this trouble with my MythTV box occasionally, it usually a log
> file that explodes in size before the log rotates have time to remove it...
>
> Lee

Hi Lee,

Are you sure? I thought df only showed free space left on disks,
rather than let you find problems with filesystems on the disks? I've
gone over the man page for df and although it might just be me being
stupid as usual ;-) I can't seem to figure out how I'd run that kind
of search using df.

You didn't mean du did you? The problem being that they both give
different results. :-(

Thanks for replying.

Chris