[ubuntu-uk] [Fwd: Re: [OT] - MS XP Pro OEM CD - How?]

Sean Miller sean at seanmiller.net
Sun Feb 17 10:02:41 GMT 2008

On 2/16/08, Eddie Armstrong <eddie_armstrong at ntlworld.com> wrote:

> Well what started out as a simple request has turned into a lot of
> unpleasantness:
> I don't know how to make it any more obvious I was seeking a *legal*
> solution and hoped somebody here might have one. I've all ready agreed
> that what you say may be correct in essence not necessarily the detail
> but I really can't be bothered arguing it any more.

I really don't think Micro$oft is going to go to all the effort of suing
somebody for re-installing an OEM machine using somebody else's CD (be that
their physical CD or a burned image of it), I really don't... it would be
incredibly pedantic to classify such a thing a piracy as the software is
protected by licence keys and is useless without them... I would call
copying the CD a "technical infringement of the licence terms", no more than
that.  Piracy would have to involve also sharing the key or distributing a
hacked copy that doesn't require a key, something that has not happened here
at all... whether a copy has been burned from one's own CD  (legal, I
believe, for backup purposes) or from somebody else's what is arrived at in
the end is the same... an installation of Windows XP using a valid OEM
licence on the machine for which that licence was supplied...

Sean