[ubuntu-uk] Dual monitors with independent desktops

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Wed Feb 13 00:15:54 GMT 2008

Steve Cook wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-02-12 at 22:45 +0000, Rob Beard wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> The graphics card on my PC has dual DVI video output (it's an ATI Radeon
>> X300).
>>
>> At the moment I'm only using a single display on a 17" LCD monitor,
>> however I was wondering if it's possible to run two screens but
>> indepdendently of each other.
>>
>> For example, on my main monitor I'd like to have my usual programs
>> (Firefox, Thunderbird etc) running, but on the second monitor I'd like
>> to be able to send the output of Mplayer for playing full screen videos
>> but not have the windows from the other screen use this monitor.
>>
>> Does anyone know if this sort of thing is possible?
>>
> This is the default behaviour if xinerama, twin view, etc. is not used.
>
> steve

Actually looking at this...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xinerama#Dual_display_X_without_Xinerama

I think dual screens without Xinerama but two independent window
managers might do the job.

Basically what I want to do is send the second monitor output to an LCD
TV (but not have a complete MythTV installation) which I can just play
videos on.

Thanks for the tips Steve, I'll have a read up.

Rob