[ubuntu-uk] BBC Bill Gates Interview/documentary

Thomas Ibbotson thomas.ibbotson at gmail.com
Sat Feb 9 00:57:39 GMT 2008

Hi all,

I was out this evening with some people from my lab, and my supervisor
brought his new girlfriend along (I didn't even know my supervisor had a
social life, he's in the lab a lot!). It turns out that his girlfriend
works for the BBC and she is part of a team which a planning a
documentary about Bill Gates. They want to present a balanced opinion of
Microsoft and I was very happy to present my "balanced" opinion (I'd had
a couple of pints), anyway I mentioned slashdot.org as a website for her
to find some anti-microsoft sentiment, and talked about Linux and Ubuntu
and mentioned about the BBC iPlayer and its incompatibility with Linux.
She said that the BBC would support Macs 'soon', but didn't know
anything about Linux.

Anyway, I thought that this would be a good opportunity for
advertisement of Ubuntu, and I wonder if anyone has any ideas for
sources I could pass on to her via my supervisor. Of course I think she
would get a bit tired of a barrage of anti-microsoft propoganda. However
I think it might be good to pass on information about FOSS and FUD and
other acronyms she might not know about.

Does anyone have any ideas of information we could pass on (she seemed
to be woefully lacking in information about Linux and was eagerly
writing everything I said down in her notebook, even though I don't know
that much myself)?

Tom