[ubuntu-uk] Pyweek Ubuntu-UK entry?

Ronnie Tucker ronnie at ronnietucker.co.uk
Sat Feb 2 22:12:07 GMT 2008

Alan Pope wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Hope everyone's having a good weekend.
>
> I've noticed that there is a pyweek game development competition coming
> up and the thought entered my head that (some of) Ubuntu-UK might want
> to put heads together and work on an entry.
>
> For those that don't know pyweek is a regular competition that runs for
> a week (this year it's 30th March till 6th April) and involves the
> development of a game in Python.
>
> It's not specifically Linux/Ubuntu based, but clearly we have a viable
> development platform given we have Python / Pygame and all the other
> necessary bits and bobs.
>
> I just wondered if anyone else might be interested in contributing. At
> first glance we would be in need of one or more programmers, musicians,
> artists and testers, along with maybe project management (!) and
> documentation roles to fill.
>
> Personally I know a little python but not enough to make a nice polished
> game in a week, so I know I can't do this kind of thing on my own. I'd
> see this as a great way to promote our community and show what we can
> get done when we pull together. :)
>
> For more details check out their site and look back through some
> previous entries to get an idea of the level we're aiming at.
>
> http://pyweek.org/ - Site
> http://pyweek.org/6/ - March 2008 competition
> http://www.pyweek.org/d/1282/ - Announcement
> http://media.pyweek.org/static/rules.html - Rules
>
> The two previous entries which I quite like are 'Nelly's Rooftop Garden'
> - http://www.pyweek.org/e/rushed/ , and Trip on the Funny Boat -
> http://www.pyweek.org/e/Pekuja/
>
> Anyone else interested?
>
> Cheers,
> Al.

I'd certainly be willing to provide graphics using GIMP if you need any.
Not done bitmap graphics in a while but I was a whizz with DPaint on my
Amiga A500  :D

That Rooftop Garden idea is awesome, just goes to show that a good game
CAN come from a kinda 'technology demo'.  :)

--
Ronnie Tucker

ronnie at ronnietucker.co.uk
www.RonnieTucker.co.uk