[ubuntu-uk] Wireless N routers

Ian Pascoe softy.lofty.ilp at btinternet.com
Thu Dec 18 20:23:05 GMT 2008

Gents

Although I agree that the idea of PowerLine adapters is a great one and can
be a boon may I put in a word of caution?

As the majority of homes do not have any type of filtering on the mains that
comes into the house, the PowerLine  will end up broadcasting back into the
local domestic mains feeds.  Generally speaking this is not a problem as the
signal degrades before it can either be tapped into or cause interference,
but if you live in, let's say a communual block of flats, and someone else
also uses PowerLine adapters, there is a fair chance that persons outside of
your home may gain access to your network.

Personal case in point - brother lived in a flat and regularly got
interference coming through his mains and affecting his TV and most notably
radio.  He got so desperate in the end that he got mains filters and hey
presto all became crystal clear again.  He subsequently found out that his
next door neighbour was using these adapters and with some co-operation he
found out that the interference disappeared when the PowerLine adapters were
powered off.

So be careful out there!

Ian