[ubuntu-uk] Wireless N routers

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Thu Dec 18 09:33:06 GMT 2008

Michael Holloway wrote:
> I'll second the powerline option. Haven't tried it myself but a friend
> has and works brilliant.
>
> I (living in Germany now) have a 32M cable internet connection. I was
> connected over wireless due to inconveniently located cable modem, but
> recently got off my read-end and wired a cable through the wall. My
> average download speed more than doubled (from 1.5MB/s to 3.3MB/s).
>
> Wireless is great, but if you can avoid it, then definitely do so!

A friend of mine has the 85MBit powerline ethernet, cost about £30 for a
pair of adaptors from eBay and it works lovely with his Virgin broadband
(his router is at the top of the house and his modem is in the dining
room at the bottom of the house).  He only actually gets something like
15Mbit/sec usable speed through it but his broadband is only 2 Meg
anyway.  He's going to get another couple of adaptors for his XBOX and
kids PC.

Not sure about the 200Mbit powerline ethernet adaptors, I'd presume
you'd get nearer to 50Mbit/sec out of them.

Rob