[ubuntu-uk] WTB: Ubuntu Laptop

Lucy lucybridges at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 14:19:56 BST 2008

On 21/08/2008, Jai Harrison <jai at jaiharrison.com> wrote:
[snip]
>  the bear minimum nowadays and things will not fit on a 1024x600
>  resolution properly (height is usually especially important!).
>
>  2) It uses SSDs. I've heard of a lot of mixed reports on these guys
>  but I don't think I'm ready to take the plunge yet with a device that
>  *may* be unable to handle bittorrent's high write count.

Hi Jai,

I think it all depends what you want out of a laptop. The new ultra
portable ones are great for carrying around and taking notes in
lectures, etc. This is where the small screen and SSD instead of a
hard drive are actually advantages. However, if you plan on using your
laptop very frequently (perhaps as a primary machine), a ultra
portable is probably not what you want to look at.

Personally, I've found the 1024x600 res perfectly fine for web
browsing and reading/writing documents.

>  3) Ubuntu Netbook Remix? It looks AWFUL to me. I like regular Ubuntu
>  and probability fact that this one will be bundled with Netbook Remix
>  makes it a scary option.

The Netbook Remix is great, I've been using it for about a month now
with no problems and the eye candy is lovely. However, I keep thinking
that it may well be better suited to machines with smaller screen
sizes, as the default gnome setup runs perfectly fine. The Netbook
Remix just replaces the standard window manager and sits on top of the
gnome desktop, which makes it really easy to turn on and off again, so
you shouldn't let it influence your choice of laptop.

Lucy