[ubuntu-uk] WTB: Ubuntu Laptop

Chris Weaver chris at resonancefm.com
Thu Aug 21 12:40:06 BST 2008

Dear All,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post but...

I work at a small community-radio station in London called Resonance104.4FM.
I'm slowly reducing our dependence on Windows and moving to Ubuntu for our
editing and day to day needs. I'm stuck on application at the moment. Our
legal logger - this is simply a application that records an mp3 file from a
live input creating a new file every 24 hours. Currently we use
http://www.cooolsoft.com/mp3rec.htm but searching the linux-audio pages I'm
unable to find a similar application.

Any ideas?

cheers,

- Chris Weaver

2008/8/21 Jai Harrison <jai at jaiharrison.com>

> Hey all,
>
> University starts in about a month and I'm *still* without a new
> laptop. I figure I ought to buy one that's bundled with Ubuntu so
> that:
>
> 1) I don't pay Windows "tax"
> 2) I don't falsisfy statistics by making it look like I use/support Windows
>
> I have looked at what Dell has to offer in the UK but they currently
> offer only 1 laptop in the UK (the XPS M1330 (UBUNTU)).
>
> What I'm after is a decent laptop with Ubuntu pre-installed and full
> hardware support (no non-working SD card readers, Wireless, etc.)
>
> Please, fire your suggestions and experience in this to me.
>
> Jai "Venko" Harrison

Chris Weaver
Production Manager
Resonance104.4FM