[ubuntu-uk] stickers free with Linux Format Magazine this

Adrian ubuntu-uk.list at just-contact.me.uk
Sun Aug 17 12:49:23 BST 2008

Hi All,

12 months ago I started to buy LXF mag off the shelf, and have done
ever since, changing from PCW that I had read most months for the past
20 years. I found the content much more readable than the much more
technical Linux Magazine.

I do wish there was wider content and greater publicity though. I
emailed the editor and later his brother offering content on a subject
I felt confident to write about but got no reply from either. I also
find the magazine has numerous spelling gaffes and often repeats pretty
much the same content within an issue. There is much that could be done
(in my eyes) to improve the mag.

As a British magazine it has a great potential to be a promotional
power for all things Linux. In the UK we have a slightly opportune
position that publicity can generally reach everyone within the
country. Take the Sunday papers; The Sunday Times reaches the 4
corners, and will dish out CD or DVD almost every week. If LXF put a
DVD of a couple of distros including the nation's favourite an a minute
one like DSL they could market it as an ultimate PC saviour disk. Able
to help recover files on unbootable Windows machine and a safe, free
and with the longest term of support in the light of the regular loss
of support for past Windows OSes. I would rather not have a DVD for 10
out of 12 months if they put it into a Sunday paper once. I have
mentioned this in the past for Canonical to consider but LXF would be a
better promoter, able then to offer a paper based support that could
see their sales rocket.

One problem is that LXF sees itself less of a newbie helper and more
for seasoned users. Credit due, they do repeatedly put in beginners
guides that are better than most, however they need to develop content
that will appeal to people that need a reason to change OS. I am not so
worried about the price tag, but more content and varied content would
encourage greater readership.

I do not wish to seem despondent, I will continue to buy LXF in
preference to any other mag and I think much of the comments here
should be echoed in the LXF forums. I hope someone at LXF Towers will
open an ear!

Adria

Message: 3