[ubuntu-uk] network backup

Dave Morley davmor2 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 15 18:32:02 BST 2008

On Fri, 2008-08-15 at 18:03 +0100, ptaylor wrote:
> hi
>
> any ideas,
> i want to backup my laptop to my desktop, ie, a direct hdd and partiton
> backup over the wifi and ethernet,
>
> i just tried partimage with partimage-server on my desktop, and couldnt
> get it working,
>
> any suggestions, preferably ncurses or gui please.
>
> thanks
>
> philip aka brobostigon

Partimage will do what you need it too.

However there are 2 points to take into consideration when using
partimage.

1: You need a newer version of partimage than the one in Ubuntu Hardy
and it needs to be on both systems.  (I recommend system rescue cd which
is most cli but part gui)
2: You will need the laptop to be wired into the network for partimage
to work.

After say that if you goto http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page it tells
you how to setup partimage to do just what you want.
--
Seek That Thy Might Know