[ubuntu-uk] Hardy Heron and Firefox

Chris Rowson christopherrowson at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 20:17:29 BST 2008

> As I type this it is using 101% of the CPU (dual cores so top doesn't

> > pick it up correctly) but it almost unusable. Performance was way better
> > in the earlier releases. Now it brings everything to a halt.
>

> Similar story here... it fluctuates but at the moment it's pretty much
> maxing out a whole core having been opened for 10 minutes and just a
> single tab showing google.co.uk.
>
> Groovy.
>
> One thing I'm doing differently to normal is Firefox is opening through
> the Gnome->preferences->session remember setup, oh and I have enabled
> compiz. Is there any correlation between my setup and yours?

I'm seeing mucho bad performance in the Firefox 3 Beta in both Ubuntu Hardy
and Windows XP. In Linux it seems to use a ridiculous amount of CPU time
when idle, and in Windows is thrashes the hard disk drive for the first 5/10
minutes of being open.

IMO it was a bad move to put a beta browser into an LTS release..... But
that's just my opinion ;-)

Chris