[ubuntu-uk] Upgrading to 8.04

Tony Arnold tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk
Mon Apr 28 18:28:35 BST 2008

Pete,

Pete Stean wrote:
> I've started to observe behaviour over the last couple of weeks that
> definitely indicates that BT are throttling torrents at peak times, at
> least in my part of London - from early morning right through to early
> evening on weekdays, popular torrents will saturate my connection but
> will start slowing down at around 6pm and won't pick up speed again
> until the early hours. I've observed this behaviour several times over
> the last few weeks, all on popular torrents with thousands of seeds
> and leechers   :\   not good

I know that my ISP, Pipex, throttles bittorrent to 20kb/s, which makes
it useless! I've not tried playing around with non standard ports, which
might help.

But it work where I have more bandwidth than you can shake a stick at, I
get varying results. Much seems to depend on the number of seeds etc and
their download speed.

BTW, anyone else had trouble with CD burning after upgrading?

Regards,
Tony.
E: tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk, H: http://www.man.ac.uk/Tony.Arnold