[ubuntu-uk] Video editing

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Fri Sep 28 16:57:03 BST 2007

Hi Mark,

On Fri, 2007-09-28 at 15:19 +0100, Mark Harrison wrote:
> Alan Pope wrote:
> > I would love to see just one decent video editor on Linux. There are
> > loads on Windows and Mac :(
> >

> I agree with you up to a point... However, I don't know that the Windows
> world of video editing is so much better...

Heh, have you tried any of the video editors on Linux?

> At the moment my (work-related) video editing / DVD mastering is done in
> the Windows world... and I've worked out that I actually use _4_
> different applications to make the average DVD.
>
> - Adobe Audition for the audio tracks
> - Adobe Premier for the Video editing itself
> - MS Paint (kid you not) for rendering simply JPGs for use as titles :-)
> - Adobe Encore for generating DVD menu structures

I don't mind using multiple different apps for different things. That
kinda makes sense in a way. If a video editor tried to be an audio
editor it might end up being crap at both. At least on Linux we have
tools like Avidemux and Audacity which are "good enough".

I wonder if enough people got a few quid together we could sponsor the
development of a decent non-linear video editor? I'd certainly put my
hand in my pocket for it.

Cheers,
Al.