[ubuntu-uk] Video editing

Mark Harrison Mark at yourpropertyexpert.com
Fri Sep 28 15:19:58 BST 2007

Alan Pope wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 2007-09-28 at 08:26 +0200, Sakjur wrote:
>
>> Why don't you use the diffrent advantages of the diffrent editors?
>> Like mix them...
>> Is it speciall fileformats for the diffrent editors?
>>

> Imagine using 3 different word processors to produce a document. One
> because it lets you do bold, one because it does tables and another
> because it saves in the right format. You would have to keep switching
> between the applications. It would be incredibly inefficient and
> frustrating.
>
> I would love to see just one decent video editor on Linux. There are
> loads on Windows and Mac :(

I agree with you up to a point... However, I don't know that the Windows
world of video editing is so much better...

At the moment my (work-related) video editing / DVD mastering is done in
the Windows world... and I've worked out that I actually use _4_
different applications to make the average DVD.

- Adobe Audition for the audio tracks
- Adobe Premier for the Video editing itself
- MS Paint (kid you not) for rendering simply JPGs for use as titles :-)
- Adobe Encore for generating DVD menu structures

- Oh, and theoretically I use Adobe Media encoder to do the rendering,
but it's so well integrated with Premier these days I don't think of it
as a "separate application" as such, just a popup options box within
Premier.

At the moment, I see good free / OSS alternatives to Audition and MS
Paint... but stick with what's there because I know them well, can drive
them very, very, quickly, and there's still one area (fourier noise
reduction) where the proprietary software has an edge technically.

Regards,

Mark