[ubuntu-uk] Orange Livebox (internet) with Ubuntu

Kris Marsh moogman at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 15:32:24 BST 2007

On 9/14/07, Darren Mansell <darren.mansell at opengi.co.uk> wrote:

> On Fri, 2007-09-14 at 14:31 +0100, Tom Bamford wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Having work with an Orange livebox for a client, I can say they are
> > terrible units with poor firmware and fault tolerance. The two I used
> > frequently dropped the ppp connection for no reason and gave mediocre
> > Wifi range and performance. The service itself didn't seem too bad, if
> > you are willing to buy your own router.
> >
> > My personal recommendation would be www.f2s.com, but some people have
> > reservations about Pipex, who now owns them.
>
> My personal recommendation is Demon. I use them at home. Static IP and
> hostname. No traffic prioritisation. £25 inc / month for as fast as you
> can get in your area. No complaints at all.

I've been with Demon too, and have no complaints. Currently with Zen
(http://www.zen.co.uk/broadband/athome.aspx) because they offered 8
static IP addresses (although by "8", they actually mean "5" - three
are taken up by network/broadcast/router addresses).

Both Zen and Demon have flawless support if you ever need them, and
they're both pretty techy and Linux-friendly, which is a Good
Thing(tm).

Kris