[ubuntu-uk] Promoting Ubuntu

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Mon Oct 29 14:09:29 GMT 2007

Quoting Michael Holloway <michael at thedarkwinter.com>:

> Hi Guys
>
> We're always trying to think of ideas and ways to promote
> Ubuntu/Linux... why not stick to the basics??
>
> Canonical sends out CD's for free upon request... i don't know how many,
> and what they would think of this, but:
>
> We gets tons of CD's in boxes, we get an Ubuntu jacket with big writing
> saying something like:
>
> Ubuntu Linux
> Free OS
> Free Office
>
> ... and then some of us volunteer to stand in city centres on the
> weekend (maybe two or three in a group so we can answer questions etc)
> and hand them out like flyers. We include a little slip that explains
> how they can try it (live) and install it etc.
>
> Probably some of them will get thrown away, and many will remain unused,
> but surely the relatively low-cost of this type of promotion will prove
> effective??? Even if its just the "oh yes i've heard of that" type.
>
> What do you think?

Not a bad idea, worth a try anyway.

I was looking into some sort of giveaway to schools in the area where
I live.  I was actually thinking of giving away a customised version
of The Open Disc with details of Ubuntu on the disc, although the
problem I'm finding is getting funding to get a few thousand CDs
duplicated and distributed.  For this I'm looking at trying my local
radio station (whom I work for) to see if they can sponsor the disc
and promote it.

At least if you do get a load of discs and don't use them you could
maybe take some into independent computer shops and places like
Cartridge World and ask them to give them away.

Rob