[ubuntu-uk] Promoting Ubuntu

Michael Holloway michael at thedarkwinter.com
Mon Oct 29 13:07:26 GMT 2007

Hi Guys

We're always trying to think of ideas and ways to promote
Ubuntu/Linux... why not stick to the basics??

Canonical sends out CD's for free upon request... i don't know how many,
and what they would think of this, but:

We gets tons of CD's in boxes, we get an Ubuntu jacket with big writing
saying something like:

Ubuntu Linux
Free OS
Free Office

... and then some of us volunteer to stand in city centres on the
weekend (maybe two or three in a group so we can answer questions etc)
and hand them out like flyers. We include a little slip that explains
how they can try it (live) and install it etc.

Probably some of them will get thrown away, and many will remain unused,
but surely the relatively low-cost of this type of promotion will prove
effective??? Even if its just the "oh yes i've heard of that" type.

What do you think?