[ubuntu-uk] Best ISP?

Skeg Fast skegfast at monkeypc.com
Sat Oct 27 01:29:18 BST 2007

I've been using Freedom2Surf ADSL for a couple of years. I signed up
before they were bought by Pipex and started imposing bandwidth limits.
I could 'upgrade' to an 8 meg connection but it would be
bandwidth-limited during peak-time in the small print so I stick to my 2
meg connection. 120 gig/month up+down is a bit beyond reasonable for
most ISPs :(

Recently Tiscali took over (bad, bad!) but I haven't noticed any
throttling/port blocking/other evilness. Uptime is great (incidentally,
the reason I switched to Linux was because I got fed up of XP needing a
reboot every week or so to keep my USB modem alive).

F2S still exist as a separate entity and I'd recommend them. I've never
had to call their tech support so I don't know how good it is. They have
a nice web interface where you can check your bandwidth usage, update
account details, add/remove @f2s.com email accounts with or without
SpamAssassin, mess with (unlimited?) subdomain at f2s.com emails. If you
need it they even have a (small) website thingy with php and MySql.

Best of all, you get a static IP and (when I signed up) they were geek
friendly (they email you with the DNS and email server addys with your
account details for example).

I haven't visited for a while, but they have their own independent
support forums at freedom2support.net which are (were?) frequented by
techies that work for the company. So if you're thinking of switching
then I'd look there first.