[ubuntu-uk] Gutsy install bug

Paul Tansom paul at aptanet.com
Wed Oct 24 14:07:20 BST 2007

** Alan Pope <alan at popey.com> [2007-10-24 13:22]:
> On Wed, 2007-10-24 at 13:04 +0100, Paul Tansom wrote:
> > I've tried using 'all_generic_ide', but not had any success. I'm working
> > on the basis that I need to load the pata_it821x driver that supports
> > the card the drive is connected to into the ramdisk at boot time.
>
> Tried using:-
>
> ata_piix.blacklist=yes
>
> On boot up?
** end quote [Alan Pope]

I have now :)

I've not quite got my head around editing the grub boot options at boot
time. If I change a line completely or add a new line it causes it to
reboot and default back to the pre-edited version, so I can only add
bits to the end of the lines (so the o and O options to ad lines seem to
be of no use at all!), and for some reason I have 'quiet' listed twice,
once on its own line and once at the end of the main kernel line.  I'm
assuming the second is for booting off the ramdisk, so linked to the
initrd line, but not entirely sure why it gets a line all to itself!

I guess it all comes of things usually working fine and therefore not
having to mess around with the grub boot stuff that often - if it's
never broken I've not had to disect it before :)