[ubuntu-uk] 7.10 and md5sums

Kirrus kirrus at kirrus.co.uk
Sat Oct 20 17:24:50 BST 2007

----- "alan c" <aeclist at candt.waitrose.com> wrote:
> I downloaded via torrents most of the ubuntu family  as soon as they
> were available. I am now checking md5 sum information on various of
> the downloads, and the numbers are not coming good. I tried burning
> regardless on xubuntu alternate i386, and chose 'check cd for defects'
>
> and nothing happened.
> I have to go now to do an install - which I will make a 7.04 install
> (!) and I can do more checks later. Has anyone else had questions
> about md5 sums etc recently?

I have had problems with md5 sums not matching in the past. When they don't match, the only alternative is to dump the download and start again, its possible (but unlikely) that someone's been tampering with the torrent.

I'd reccomend downloading from Canonical's offical UK servers... never had any problems with them:
http://gb.releases.ubuntu.com/gutsy/
(http://gb.releases.ubuntu.com/ for dapper/edgy/fiesty/gutsy)

HTH,

Kirrus