[ubuntu-uk] Network traffic analysis

David Restall - System Administrator dave at restall.net
Sat Nov 24 19:25:14 GMT 2007

Hi,

I want to see where and what the traffic profile is on a server.  What I
have used in the past is ethereal but this seems like overkill, is there
anything else out there.

What I would like is something that will give me a simple report showing
traffic in, out, IP addresses, ports etc.

MRTG is another option but this is fiddly to set up for what I want and
I'd still have to use tcpdump to capture the raw data.

I don't mind using tcpdump to capture the data it's what I use to produce
the pretty outputs that I'm after (pretty ! necessarily == graphical).

Sorry if this is a bit rambling - had a bit of pop and things aren't
quite working as smoothly as I'd expect :*)

TTFN

ubuntu/uk-2007-11-24.tx                                        ubuntu-uk
| Dave Restall, Computer Nerd, Cyclist, Radio Amateur G4FCU, Bodger          |
| Mob +44 (0) 7973 831245      Skype: dave.restall             Radio: G4FCU  |
| email : dave at restall.net                     Web : Not Ready Yet :-(       |
| The most disagreeable thing that your worst enemy says to your face        |
| does not approach what your best friends say behind your back.             |
|         -- Alfred De Musset                                                |