[ubuntu-uk] "What Intel Giveth, Microsoft Taketh Away"

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Thu Nov 15 21:31:03 GMT 2007

I was just passed this very interesting article.

http://exo-blog.blogspot.com/2007/09/what-intel-giveth-microsoft-taketh-away.html

"What Intel giveth, Microsoft taketh away.” Such has been the
conventional wisdom surrounding the Windows/Intel (“Wintel”) duopoly
since the early days of Windows 95. In practical terms, it means that
performance advancements on the hardware side are quickly consumed by
the ever-increasing complexity of the Windows/Office code base. Case in
point: Microsoft Office 2007 which, when deployed on Windows Vista,
consumes over 12x as much memory and nearly 3x as much processing power
as the version that graced PCs just 7 short years ago (Office 2000)."

I'm not advocating that we sit and bitch about Microsoft, but think this
is a useful article to show Windows users as part of the "why you might
want to consider Ubuntu" arsenal.

Cheers,
Al.