[ubuntu-uk] serious advice

Matthew Daubney daubers at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 10:16:24 GMT 2007

norman wrote:
> I am contemplating buying my 9 year old granddaughter a new PC for
> Christmas. Presently, she has a fairly old PC and has been using Windows
> both at home and at school. (I hear cries of shame). She is of course
> familiar with Ubuntu when she uses my machine and it would be my
> intention to wean her onto Ubuntu on her new machine. Where I need
> advice is in selecting the best way to enable her to join in with her
> classmates, if and when she may need to, with regard to such things as
> educational games and suchlike which do not play on Linux.
>
> I know of Wine and Crossover Office but neither of these appear to be
> what is needed. So, fellow Ubuntu users, what would you advise an old
> codger to do.
>
> Norman

I'm not sure if this is what you're after, but I used to use Cedega for
some games. It's worth is a bit patchy though.... If games are going to
be a problem, dual boot the machine and put Edubuntu as the primary boot
option. Windows is only really good for games after all (thats all my
windows box is used for really!).

-Matt Daubney