[ubuntu-uk] Netgear PCI adapter

Matthew Daubney daubers at gmail.com
Sun Nov 11 18:05:33 GMT 2007

davisjo wrote:

> Hi to the group.
>
> I posted to the group a couple of weeks ago about wi-fi and Ubuntu
> installation.
>
> I have an AMD 1100 mhz K7 Athlon  processor
> 60 hard drive Maxtor  Dual boot with Windows
>
> The board is Amercan Mega trends
>
> NVIDIA Gforce 4mx4000 graphics card
>
> I am using Gutsy Gibbon and  trying to install Netgear WG311 v3 pci
> adapter.
>
> I install ndiswrapper through the package manager and it shows it is
> installed, I have tried various ways of installing the WG311 v3.ini
> file Ubuntu says it is installed but says it is the wrong driver.
>
> If I drag ndiswrapper from a cd onto the desktop and then extract it,
> what do I type to install it ?
>
> my problem is wrapping ndiswrapper round the .ini file.I have
> installed ndiswrapper.  I then do not know the syntax for installing
> the WGv3.ini file into the driver folder. Everything I type is wrong
> or not found even when I verify installation with ndiswrapper - the
> driver is not shown.
>
> I have then done lshw -C network
> it the responsds with
>
> *-network UNCLAIMED

> product: 88w 8335 [LIBERTAS] 802.11b/g Wireless
> Vendor:Marvell Technology group Ltd
> Physical ID: 11
> Bus info pci at 0000:00:11.0
> Version 03
> Width: 32 bits
> Clock: 66 mhz
> Capabilities: Bus master cap_list
> Configuration: latency =64
>
> I am comfortable installing packages, the problem is installing from
> the cd drive and the path required to install.
>
> Ndiswrapper is on a cd with the latest drivers for the pci adapter.
>
> All help gratefully received
>
> John Davis

Having played with ndiswrapper last night..... the install file of
ndiswrapper you have, was it a .deb or a .tar.gz file?

There is a very fine piece of software called ndisgtk which will give
you a nice gui to install the drivers with.

You might need a .sys file with the .ini. When you install the driver
with ndiswrapper, do ndiswrapper -l l and let us know what it says :-)

-Matt Daubney