[ubuntu-uk] Freeview

Kris Marsh moogman at gmail.com
Sat Nov 3 00:58:56 GMT 2007

On 11/3/07, Jai Harrison <jai at jaiharrison.com> wrote:
> Hey guys (and girls),
>
> I've been looking into FreeView today and the switch for my area isn't
> until 2011 (a LONG, unbearable way away). Freeview.co.uk reports my
> area is without any FreeView whatsoever while DigitalUK says that I
> can receive some channels now.
>
> It also says I'll suffer from a poor reception, that an aerial upgrade
> may be required and that I will have 47 TV channels/radio stations in
> orange status ("variable reception"). These are as follows:
>
>     * BBC ONE
>     * BBC TWO
>     * BBC THREE
>     * CBBC
>     * BBC NEWS 24
>     * BBCi
>     * BBC FOUR
>     * Cbeebies
>     * BBC Parliament
>     * The Community Channel
>     * BBC Radio 1 (radio)
>     * 1 Xtra BBC (radio)
>     * BBC Radio 2 (radio)
>     * BBC Radio 3 (radio)
>     * BBC Radio 4 (radio)
>     * BBC Radio 5 Live (radio)
>     * BBC Five Live Sports Extra (radio)
>     * BBC 6 Music (radio)
>     * BBC 7 (radio)
>     * BBC Asian Network (radio)
>     * Five
>     * QVC
>     * UK Gold (subscription only)
>     * bid tv
>     * price-drop.tv
>     * UKTV Style (subscription only)
>     * Eurosport (subscription only)
>     * SETANTA Sports (subscription only)
>     * Five US
>     * Five Life
>     * TopUp Anytime1 (subscription only)
>     * TopUp Anytime2 (subscription only)
>     * TopUp Anytime3 (subscription only)
>     * Teachers' TV
>     * Television X (subscription only)
>     * Teletext Holidays
>     * Teletext Games
>     * Heat (radio)
>     * Mojo (radio)
>     * UKTV History
>     * The HITS
>     * Dave TV
>     * Virgin 1
>     * TMF
>     * Ideal World
>     * Film 4
>     * ITV 2+1
>     * BBC World Service (radio)
>     * The Hits Radio (radio)
>     * Smash Hits! (radio)
>     * KISS (radio)
>     * Magic (radio)
>     * Q (radio)
>     * oneword (radio)
>     * SMOOTH RADIO (radio)
>     * Kerrang! (radio)
>     * 4TV Interactive
>
> What I would like to know is what my chances are of receiving these
> channels at a "watch-able" quality. What exactly "variable reception"
> means in terms of quality. How come there's no ITV or C4.
>
> I'm not easily able to attach an aerial to the roof but a friend
> suggested this:
> [...]

Not entirely sure on what they define as variable, but I would suggest
if you do decide to buy a Freeview box.. don't buy an aerial, as you
may find your current aerial is fine.

At my house, I find that if it rains, then the signal starts going
bad. By bad, it goes a little blocky and stuttery - not unlike Real
player ;-)

Kris