[ubuntu-uk] ? Driver for Epson DX6000 Scan/printer ??

Louis Gidney Louis-a at cromer.demon.co.uk
Wed May 23 13:42:39 BST 2007

Hello!

Only just got round to joining this list although I have been using
Ubuntu Dapper for about four months, to assess whether it will serve my
purposes.  I like it.  After all, unix was a mature OS long before even
the 8086 and affordable computing got started.

However, the main problem I have found with it is obtaining and
installing printer drivers  (and media codecs).  I'm told this is a
widespread problem with other linux distros --for those who don't have
the technical know-how.

I would be grateful if anyone out there could help me to get my
printer/scanner working.

That's my top priority.  It would also be nice to be able to watch video
clips on the BBC website.  But if needs must I can live without that.
(Adobe flash player works fine in Firefox when needed --but of course
the BBC for reasons best known to themselves have opted for RealPlayer /
Helix(?)

Thank you in anticipation,
best wishes,
Lou   (in Scotland)

PS:  In due course, I am also looking for a programming language with
which I can write short programs for numerical work, that must also draw
line diagrams.  In the past I have used bbc BASIC which is just right
for this kind of work.

Any suggestions welcome from programmers out there!
(HP-basic and HT-basic based on it, are in the same ball-park for
numerical work)
I suppose to draw a line I have to become familiar with OpenGL and all
that (?)