[ubuntu-uk] ? Driver for Epson DX6000 Scan/printer ??

Peter Lewis prlewis at letterboxes.org
Wed May 23 14:04:44 BST 2007

Hi Lou,

Welcome to the group.

On Wednesday 23 May 2007 at 13:42:39 Louis Gidney wrote:
> Only just got round to joining this list although I have been using
> Ubuntu Dapper for about four months, to assess whether it will serve my
> purposes.  I like it.  After all, unix was a mature OS long before even
> the 8086 and affordable computing got started.

Are you a long-time unix user then?

> However, the main problem I have found with it is obtaining and
> installing printer drivers  (and media codecs).  I'm told this is a
> widespread problem with other linux distros --for those who don't have
> the technical know-how.
>
> I would be grateful if anyone out there could help me to get my
> printer/scanner working.

I don't have any experience with printing and scanning I'm afraid, but...

> That's my top priority.  It would also be nice to be able to watch video
> clips on the BBC website.  But if needs must I can live without that.
> (Adobe flash player works fine in Firefox when needed --but of course
> the BBC for reasons best known to themselves have opted for RealPlayer /
> Helix(?)

...I might be able to help you here. I gave up on helix / realplayer, and
found that by installing the 'mozilla-mplayer' package, I can view / listen
to the content on the BBC website.

HTH!

Pete.