[ubuntu-uk] FW: Leaflets

Ian Pascoe softy.lofty.ilp at btinternet.com
Fri May 4 21:03:48 BST 2007

Whoa there guys, get off your horse and drink your <insert dringk of choice>

Got to be careful here that we don't shoot our own feet.

Firstly, I agree with all the potential hang ups about using the term "free"
to Joe Public.  So we use another phrase.

My preference is FOS as opposed to Open Source, only because it's quicker to
say and if the person's interested in what you've started to say they'll
listen to what FOS is, and not sub-consciously attribute all those things
that have been mentioned so far for "free".  If any one else can think of
another short sharp name / acronymn then go for it.

Next, remember that most Windows users have the option of "free for Personal
use" of things like AV and Firewalls, which all the major Windows PC mags
advocate them to get.  So the arguement about paying subscriptions is not
really valid unless you identify that they have a paid for subscription.

So, turn it around and say that although you get this super free service, it
still requires you, in the case of AV, to maintain up to date signature
files; but Hey!  Linux is cool and because it was built from scratch with
security in mind, it doesn't need AV (at the moment).

And along the same lines, remember that quite a lot of projects run multiple
OS versions of their applications.  It may be that some people out there are
already using Open Office as an alternative to MS's offerings for example.
We don't want to alienate them before we have even started.  Actually,
thinking about it should we be instead of advocating a whole OS replacement
get them onto the FOS equivilants and use that as a stepping stone?

An area that has so far been missing from the thread is the ability of
Ubuntu to live in harmony with Windows on the same computer, as people like
myself need to still have access to Windows to deal with the daytime job.
For those who are scared about the thought of potentially loosing all their
precious pirated software, there's always just using the Live CD.

Lastly, and the point I expect to get shot  for, is that most of your local
High Street computer vendors have an OEM contract with MS that specifically
states that if they ship anything with an incumbent OS other than MS, the
Men in Black will be around (see LWN fortnight ago for this reference).
However, muy local vendor gets around this by sending out computers with no
OS's on them and directs the purchaser to a shop just up the road where one
of our LUG members runs his own, non-computer, business!

OK, we've had lots of ideas and some quite warm debate, and a secret need to
find out about the Veeches mate's girl friend (!) but what and where do we
go from here?  Or is there still plenty to mull over?

A couple of general questions though.

Has anyone ever tried talking to a local newspaper about what Linux
represents to the user?

For the Thanet Hampshire and other LUG guys who've contributed to this
thread, what type of responses have you had from your attempts?

For those who've done installations for friends and colleagues how many of
them are still using the Linux distro installed regularly and how many have
wandered back to MS, or are somewhere inbetwen?

Ian