[ubuntu-uk] LUGs

TheVeech theveech at gmail.com
Sat Mar 31 22:04:25 BST 2007

On Fri, 2007-03-30 at 11:24 +0100, Robin Menneer wrote:

> On 3/30/07, TheVeech <theveech at gmail.com> wrote:
>         On Wed, 2007-03-28 at 20:54 +0100, Caroline Ford wrote:
>         > Anyway - we seem to have more women active than there are in
>         Ubuntu-UK
>         > (!) so we must be doing something right..
>
>         There's also a women's forum at Ubuntu Forums.
>
>         Someone posted here, mentioning that they were of a certain
>         age group,
>         and it got me thinking.  I tried to follow up on doing
>         something along
>         the lines of Linux for Seniors (a US term, I know, but...),
>         did a search
>         and found very little in this area, bar a talk by someone from
>         a US LUG.
>
> There are at least two entirely different oldie categories - those who
> have had prePC experience and those who have nil computer experience.,
> even little or no keyboard exposure.  The main problem I personally
> find is a lack of memory for even simple sequencies, and it's getting
> steadily worse.  Being on pension one lives in fear of fouling up
> (soft or hard damage) the machine and having to get someone in,
> expensively.  This is why thickie support from the Ubuntu community is
> so  essential.

You're not alone.  One of my friends had a stroke a few years back.
Consequently, his memory's very poor - the equivalent of about 128 meg
of RAM by today's standards!

I'm convinced that if you had some sort of forum that's more likely to
appreciate the context of the challenges you face with your computing,
you'd become less 'thickie' faster, not least because you'd benefit
from, and be able to contribute to, its collective wisdom.

I'm a bit disappointed with the apparent lack of any follow-up on this.
I'll keep an eye out for people who might want to chase it up.  I don't
know about you, but the seniors I know would love to have this option.