[ubuntu-uk] LUGs

TheVeech theveech at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 18:34:37 BST 2007

On Wed, 2007-03-28 at 16:35 +0100, Tony Travis wrote:
> TheVeech wrote:
> > Just curious.  Anyone a member?  If so, what's yours like?
> >
> > I'd have thought they were a bit of a geekfest, not having been to one,
> > but I'm probably way off the mark.  Trouble is, the one for my neck of
> > the woods is supposed to be active but its website hasn't been updated
> > for a long time.  These days, is it time better spent online?
>
> I subscribe to the AberLUG mailing list (Aberdeen) and I've found it
> quite useful. I've met up with a few people 1:1, but I don't attend the
> AberLUG meetings: A 'geekfest' sounds a rather judgmental!

Don't be daft.  Of course I'm not judgemental.  There's nothing wrong
with pointy ears (i.e. it's judgemental).

>  I've found
> AberLUG members friendly, and willing to help anyone learn about Linux.

This is what I'd be after.  It sounds like it's a similar mood and
approach to, say, the Ubuntu forums and the mailing lists, which I've
found really impressive at times.

> I guess it's about making contact with like-minded people. I think far
> more people read the LUG lists than attend LUG meetings. However, the
> LUG meetings are what some Linux people want, so each to their own :-)

I think I'd feel pretty comfortable in a crowd like that, but what about
people who are still getting to grips with the 'basics' - would they
benefit or would they feel a bit out of place?