[ubuntu-uk] ubuntu-uk Digest, Vol 23, Issue 41

Robin Menneer robinmenneer at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 12:36:46 GMT 2007

On 3/22/07, Kosh42|EFG <kosh42efg at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I for one would think, and I'm sure many would agree with me, that the
> > http://linux.org website is rather ugly in design, and not welcoming
> > or terribly explanatory to linux newcomers.
> >
> > http://www.getgnulinux.org is designed to change this. It explains
> > what Linux is on a level that even non-tech types could understand and
> > also why and how they would switch. It is a perfect site for someone
> > who knows nothing about Linux at all.

Yes.  I've looked at it and although it is a vast improvement in the
right direction, even this is too complicated and introduces too many
concepts at once.  Probably rather less than half the facts and wider
margins would get the essential message on one page.  Forget GNU at
this level and concentrate on LInux.  It's free with friendly
interface, with automatic and helpful backup support and updating.
You've got to convince in one easy page taking no more than 10 seconds
to read for a slow unconvinced reader.  Then he can go to other pages,
half converted. Think of the target audience - disinterested,
suspicious (because of windows exposure) and anti-anything new with no
knowledge or desire for knowledge of how a computer works.  I like the
distinctions between the *buntu-s but should be made more obvious
still.