[ubuntu-uk] Broadband connection with Eclipse

Robin Menneer robinmenneer at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 15:21:59 GMT 2007

On 3/5/07, Ben Thorp <THORPB at uk.ibm.com> wrote:

> In the long run you are probably better off owning your own modem/router
> anyway. They're reasonably cheap (although they are in excess of £30), but
> what you sacrifice in terms of price you gain in terms of functionality -
> the reason that many boxes don't work with Linux is because the hardware
> they contain is unable to do all the work itself - it requires some clever
> pieces of proprietary software to acheive full function. A "normal" router
> (or even just an ADSL modem, which might be a cheap option if you only want
> 1 port) will work over Ethernet, and all the "hard work" will be performed
> by the hardware itself, which is a preferable situation anyway.

Am being a bit dumb.  I need (and will need) only one connection to
the web so shouild I get a router or an ADSL modem or what ? and do I
presume Belbin is ok although they have a lousy power plug & socket in
the USB dock which I have.  We are prone to lightning here and I take
care to disconnect the phone socket but obviously would rather be
protected electronically.  Thanks for your interest.