[ubuntu-uk] Thinking about switching to linux

Philip Wyett philip.wyett at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 22:40:13 GMT 2007

On 02/03/07, Benjamin Webb <bjwebb67 at googlemail.com> wrote:
> I am thinking about swithcing to ubuntu, but I use an AOL ADSL modem
> to access the internet. This will not work well with linux (apparently
> the eccisadsl drivers may be uncompatible).
> Therefore, I a router to replace it with. I have found this:
> http://www.amazon.co.uk/Linksys-5-Port-100-Switch-SD205/dp/B000225CXG/ref=sr_1_75/203-8642488-2050310?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1172871998&sr=1-75
> 1) Is it a fairly decent deal (I want to buy new)
> 2) Will this work for what I want (just plugging the DSL into one
> socket and then plugging into the PC (Dell™ Dimension™ 5150C) using an
> ethernet cable).
> Thanks in advance,
> Ben Webb

What you want to do is very dependant on your modem. If it does not support
ethernet you cannot
use it on the switch and by the looks of the spec it has no uplink WAN port.

If you wish to buy a wired or wireless DSL modem router that will work and
is also supported by AOL, you can get
either of the following as a couple of examples of switches that include DSL
modem that are not
dependant on an OS or drivers.

   - Netgear DG834 - 4 port Wired Modem Router
   - Netgear DG834G - 4 port 54Mbps Wireless ADSL Modem Router