[ubuntu-uk] Can't install Ubuntu

Martin Fitzpatrick martin.fitzpatrick at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 11:30:51 GMT 2007

On 01/03/07, Fredy Gumarus <filibertus_fred at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have try to install Ubuntu ver. 6.06 to my notebook, but it can't.
> First i choose 'Start or install Ubuntu', when it's ready and i click
> install, it always hang when i click forward after choosing the language (
> first step ).

On my own laptop (Dell 1200 Inspiron) it took about 15 minutes for
each step of the install, often looking like it was doing nothing (no
disk access etc.).  In all the whole installation took a few hours
although some steps where quicker than others. I suspect that was due
to low memory on the machine. A first installation attempt also failed
due to a poor CD copy - so that may be something to test?

It got there in the end & works fine now it's on. My advice would be
to put the kettle on, watch tv and have another look at it after half
an hour.

As someone else has suggested not using the Live CD might help!

Good luck!

Martin