[ubuntu-uk] Leaflets

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Mon Jun 18 21:16:28 BST 2007

Chris Rowson wrote:
>> I like the graphics on that one.  Just out of interest, where did you
>> get the picture of the field from?  (I'm assuming not that other OS
>> beginning with W?)
>>
>> Rob
>>

> I was waiting for someone to ask that :-P
>
> I got it from a stock photo site http://www.sxc.hu
>
> Chris

Ahh thats good.  When I saw it I thought... hmmm, that looks like Telly
Tubby land on XP.  I'm sure lots of people will see that and think
Windows XP.  In fact I tested it on my other half.  I asked her what
computer related thing she thinks of when she sees it and she said
'Windows'.

That has to be a good way of drawing people into read it as they might
think it's something related to Windows.

Just got a couple of comments...

"Ubuntu is compatible with Windows
computers and programs."

Hmm, I'd be a bit concerned about Joe Bloggs trying to use any and every
Windows app with Wine.  I must admit most things I throw at Wine work
but there are also a few other apps that don't.

Also, since Ubuntu, Windows and Vista are trademarked, shouldn't there
be something on there to say about the trademark holders (like very
small print or something?)

Looking good anyway.

Just wondering too, are there any guides on the Ubuntu Wiki to help
Windows users move over to Linux, for instance finding alternatives to
all their favourite applications?

Ta,

Rob