[ubuntu-uk] usb wireless

Simon Elliott ubuntu at sionide.net
Sun Jun 17 01:38:22 BST 2007

michaelweaver wrote:
> The device I now have is a USB stick.
> Should this be supported under Ubuntu?
> I ask as I have not been able to find any documentation which might tell
> me if USB sticks for wireless are supported.
I was recently helping a friend getting their laptop online - they'd
bought a *very* cheap USB wireless stick from Maplin - it took me hours
of searching to find the correct drivers for the thing under Windows and
just out of interest, I stuck into my (Feisty) laptop ... It then asked
me what network I wanted to connect to. Even when my existing laptop's
wireless was already connected - I didn't have to do /anything/ to
install it, it "just worked"(tm)!

Very impressive stuff from Ubuntu :)

--Simon