[ubuntu-uk] usb wireless

Adam Bagnall ajb35 at kent.ac.uk
Sat Jun 16 23:08:42 BST 2007

Steve wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-06-16 at 15:17 +0100, Andy wrote:
>
>> On 16/06/07, michaelweaver <weavermicha at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> The device I now have is a USB stick.
>>> Should this be supported under Ubuntu?
>>> I ask as I have not been able to find any documentation which might tell
>>> me if USB sticks for wireless are supported.
>>>
>> It depends on the USB stick to be honest. They all work differently so
>> need different drivers. And the vendors tend to be less than helpful
>> in providing them.
>>
>> Do you know the make and model of your USB stick?
>>
>> Can you plug it in and type:
>> lsusb
>>
>> it should list all attached USB devices. One of them should be your wifi.
>> You might want to do lsusb before inserting the stick as well as after
>> so you can see what changes.
>>
>> You might need to use the Windows drivers under ndiswrapper.
>>
>> It's certainly possible to get some wireless USB adapters to work. I
>> used to have a Belkin one (had to use ndiswrapper)
>>
>> Andy
>>
>> --
>> SELECT * FROM remarks WHERE witty=1 LIMIT 1
>>

> Hi,
>
> There is a community driven list of supported USB cards here
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WirelessCardsSupported#head-603c9481d6c6288b6b674cc50132d21f6d539c53
>
> Also try this site for general USB devices
> http://www.qbik.ch/usb/devices/
>
> Steve

I'm using a safecom usb wireless adapter (identical one on ebay here
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-Wireless-Multimedia-54Mbps-USB-2-0-LAN-Adapter-UK_W0QQitemZ280125964683QQihZ018QQcategoryZ45002QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)
and it worked out of the box with Feisty. It's using a Zydas 1211b
chipset so any usb adapter using that chip should work. The ebay search
below should give you (at least) Feisty compatible wireless adapters.

http://search-desc.ebay.co.uk/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&catref=C12&from=R10&_trksid=m37&satitle=zydas&sacat=58058%26catref%3DC6&fts=2&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D3&sadis=200&fpos=Postcode&sabfmts=1&saobfmts=insif&ga10244=10425&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=1%26fsoo%3D1&coaction=compare&copagenum=1&coentrypage=search&fgtp=