[ubuntu-uk] Users - disabled or learning difficulty

Ian Pascoe softy.lofty.ilp at btinternet.com
Tue Jul 24 22:46:46 BST 2007

Just for those of you who are interested, here's a copy of my reply to Alan
on the Accessability list.

Alan, apologies just realised I replied direct to you and not through the

Hi Alan

Sorry to jump lists on this one.

The majority of the Accessability stuff you will find under the standard
Ubuntu desktop ie the GNOME desktop.

Within that you have

* sticky keys
* on screen keyboards for use with head pointers etc
* screen readers
* braille support for braille dot matrix writers
* screen magnification

There is currently NO support at all for Speech to Text like DragonSpeak in

Unfortunately, the support for all of these depends on the original projects
having used an appropriate library that interfaces with the Assistive
Technologies interfaces.  At present this is really limited to Open Office,
Evolution and GAME.

Firefox should be accessable when FF 3 is launched which hopefully will be
packaged into Gutsy.