[ubuntu-uk] [uk-marketing] Writing for your local rag

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Sun Jul 15 08:35:00 BST 2007

Chris Rowson wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've just moved into a village from a town, and came home today from
> work to discover a village magazine posted through my door. I'd never
> really thought about it before, but that's a heck of a marketing
> opportunity.
>
> I called the number inside and asked the chap who edits the magazine
> if he'd like to run an article on Ubuntu. Despite responding initially
> that they had a guy who wrote about computers (from the local
> Microsoft based shop), he agreed to take a look at something if I sent
> it.
>
> I wonder how many of the rest of you get small community magazines
> through the door? Combine the readership of all of these magazines and
> I'm guessing that there would be quite a few potential new users.
>
> So - my proposal.
>
> I want to write something for this magazine. I thought I'd run off a
> draft and post it to the wiki. From there you can use it, edit it or
> write your own from scratch (but please post your own writing back to
> the wiki and share it) for sending to these small publications.
>
> Together I was hoping that we could build some good articles by
> collaborating on one and others, and submitting our own (should you
> enjoy writing). That way, people who don't want to/can't/don't have
> time to write for themselves, can choose an article and submit it to
> there local publication.

Well done. I contacted my local town newspaper recently and they are
clear they do not have or want, a computer related section.
I will be working on them.

Local small magazines have a good chance I think, and they are
probably always glad of useful material. It is so local that any
interest and subsequent initial questions, can come direct to you when
you are out and about locally. Good for personal contact of course.

Your contact with the local (ms) computer shop is something that can
be worked on over a period of time. I have three shops locally
including (was dixons) a high street one. Over a year or so, I have
talked to various people there. Each has its own take about the
issues, and their own lack of awareness. One is now displaying my
leaflets though.......

The BBC coverage has been useful too. Paul Bennan on radio 4 in april,
and the recent Click on ubuntu
--
alan cocks
Kubuntu user#10391