[ubuntu-uk] Making embedded media work properly

SteVe Cook yorvik.ubunto at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 4 20:39:11 BST 2007

Mac wrote:

>     This is very curious.  I'm not sure it's simply a sites issue;  I
> wonder if the inconsistent symptoms we observe aren't partly due to our
> own particular combinations of conflicts between various players, or the
> remnants of various players, that we've installed and uninstalled in our
> efforts to get embedded media working - totem, xine, mplayer, realplay,
> flash, all sorts of plugins and goodness knows what else, sometimes in
> several different versions of the same apps.
>
>     The existence of layers of accumulated HowTos - many of them partly
> or completely out of date - adds to the chaos.

I think you may have highlighted the (on of the ?) problem.  I have
three machines here.
One upgraded from edgy, that has had every media player, codec, etc.
known to man on it at one time or other.  It now has problems with all
sorts of media.
The machine I did a clean install on back in may, just before feisty was
officially released only has trouble with realplayer stuff in the main.
The third machine is my 'try it - wipe it - reinstall' machine.  I've
gone the medibuntu route on that and have know problems with the beeb or
GMTV.

SteVe