[ubuntu-uk] apt-get vs. aptitude

Tony Travis ajt at rri.sari.ac.uk
Wed Jul 4 11:48:00 BST 2007

Mark Harrison wrote:
> I've been reading a bit on the differences between apt-get and aptitude.
>
> I'm interested to know which others on the uk-ubuntu list are using (and
> why)?

Hello, Mark.

I use the command-line "aptitude" to install/reinstall/remove packages
because it's much better at resolving conflicts and dependencies than
"apt-get" or Synaptic. In particular, I frequently use an 'empty':

	aptitude -f install

To make sure the APT database is consistent. However, "aptitude" is
difficult to use interactively - I find packages with Synaptic or:

	aptitude search name

Where: name is all or part of a package name

> Oh, and I guess that Synaptic users are welcome to contribute as well,
> though I don't have a GUI on the bulk of my Ubuntu machines, so it's not
> an option for me :-)

No GUI? - OK, you pass the 'real' hacker test ;-)

Best wishes,

	Tony.
Dr. A.J.Travis,                     |  mailto:ajt at rri.sari.ac.uk
Rowett Research Institute,          |    http://www.rri.sari.ac.uk/~ajt
Greenburn Road, Bucksburn,          |   phone:+44 (0)1224 712751
Aberdeen AB21 9SB, Scotland, UK.    |     fax:+44 (0)1224 716687