[ubuntu-uk] BBC Vista Coverage

Scrase, Eddie escrase.uk at Wentworthlabs.com
Wed Jan 31 16:43:16 GMT 2007

>> I disagree, I think it would be more realistic to say "windows users will
>> never swap until you can walk into a shop and buy a Linux PC that's
already
>> been set up for you", I think that by far most of the Windows PCs are
bought
>> 'as is' and most users never go near an O/S installation or pugrade.
>
>Has any linux distro company tried selling Desktop PCs with their
>distro pre-installed?
>
>I know Dell sell some PCs with linux pre-installed.

I didn't realise Dell did that - The nice people at the Linux Emporium
(www.linuxemporium.co.uk) sell laptops with Suse Linux pre-installed.

I agree that until PCs are sold with Linux pre-installed, Linux won't make
any real gains against Windows on the desktop.  Thinking about it, I'm
surprised that (say) Tesco hasn't tried selling cheap PCs with Linux on
them.