[ubuntu-uk] Donation of Old PCs

George MacLeod bhaltair at gmail.com
Thu Jan 4 16:07:20 GMT 2007

I run a small charity (www.clacksnet.org.uk) and we are  about to start a
scheme where  local  community groups, charities and the low waged can get a
fully functioning PC with Ubuntu inatalled as well as all the useual Open
Source s/w for a small donation. The idea came about as I work at the
University of Stirling which has a fairly high turnaround of PCs and as they
have to pay for disposal it's better for them to donate them to my charity.
We are starting small at first with only PCs from my own departmant and if
this goes well I'll approach the desktop support team with a proposal. I
only take fully operational Pentium 2 or above systems and agree to wipe the
HDD. I've found P2s run very well on Ubuntu 6.06 and P3s are still OK with
6.1. I also found that Xubuntu is more suitable for some laptops (Thinkpads)
than Ubuntu.
Cheers
George