[ubuntu-uk] Donation of Old PCs

Ashley Hooper ash_hooper at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 3 21:57:35 GMT 2007

Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2007 13:03:14 +0000
From: "Mr W. F. Vening" <nvening at gmail.com>
Subject: [ubuntu-uk] Donation of Old PCs
To: ubuntu-uk at lists.ubuntu.com

> Has anyone looked into taking donations of old PCs, which businesses
> throw out, and installing a form of Ubuntu on them. Then giving them
> to schools, youth clubs etc who couldn't afford to buy them?

Yes, I have been doing something similar for about the last 2 years.  I started
out by salvaging old computers from skips (see http://scavengeuk.mine.nu),
installing Ubuntu, and giving them mostly to friends.  More recently I've been
advertising them on my local Freecycle group (see http://freecycle.org/) and
giving them to people who sound like they have an interest in trying out Linux.
 According to my 'asset register' I've given away about 30 so far.

The response from most of these people has been very positive towards Ubuntu.

Cheers, Ash

--
"We do not inherit the earth                http://backtobreath.com/
  from our ancestors;                 ...--    __@