[ubuntu-uk] EDM179: Response From Alan Johnson, Secretary of State for Education and Skills

Martin Fitzpatrick martin.fitzpatrick at gmail.com
Tue Jan 2 00:56:10 GMT 2007

On 22/12/06, James Tait <james.tait at wyrddreams.org> wrote:
> > There are also parts in there that
> > I recognise from somewhere (e.g. "measured inclusion rather than blanket
<snip>
> Sorry to respond to my own post, but I just realised why it all seems so
> familiar -- it's almost word-for-word what's in the official press
> statement in response to the EDM:
>
> http://industry.becta.org.uk/display.cfm?resID=26062
>
> Essentially it's a fob-off.

I wouldn't be overly suprised that you're getting some kind of canned
response to your initial contact.  Not to excuse this practice but
(from once working with one) I know MP's and ministers receive
ridiculous amounts of mail about all sorts of subjects.  A large
number of these are likely to be people taking part in "me too" letter
writing campaigns.  If every one of these letters received an
individual response then politicians would have no time to do anything
(instead of simply appearing like they're doing nothing).

Take this "standard reply" as an invitation to take the conversation
further.  Reiterate any points in your original contact that have not
been answered (and politely highlight that they were not) and add any
further questions that come from what you did get.

This should - hopefully -  lead to an individual reply (of whatever
quality). Perhaps more importantly it will mean the argument (and you,
us, etc.) appears intelligent. Even if we can't have immediate effect
we shouldn't underestimate the value of good PR!

Perhaps post the list for some collab drafting?

Martin