[ubuntu-uk] Curve-fitting program or package (a gnuplot example)

Tony Arnold tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk
Sun Feb 25 22:23:16 GMT 2007

Robin,

Robin Menneer wrote:

> In the instructions to  install gnuplot there is  a gap at the
> beginning.  I could not find  how to start installing despite reading
> the doc file README as  suggested.  I've never used apt and similar
> commands, having been using only fortran and basic and kept away from
> machine code.  Is grace any easier - it seems to be but I could not
> fathom out how to load it.

Use Synaptic! Search for gnuplot and then install it. Presumably, you've
used Synaptic before to install stuff?

You will ned packages gnuplot, gnuplot-nox and gnuplot-x11 (for seeing
graphs on the screen). gnuplot-doc is probably essential.

Not sure about grace. I think I may have tried it some years ago.

>     Have you considered the graphing available to you in OpenOffice
>     SpreadSheet? It may do something simple to get you going.
>

> I find  OpenOffice very satisfying, using it more than anything else,
> and at first reading, the graphing (charting) facility in OO draws
> graphs but when I looked into it in detail (and on several occasions
> because of my finding), I came to the conclusion that one axis has to be
> discontinuous (like a bar chart) so I can't plot a proper curve on it.
> Your reply brings me hope that I am wrong. Thank you for your attention,

Thinking about it, I think you are right. And that was the reason I
installed gnuplot, 'cos I had X,Y pairs I needed to plot.

gnuplot is run in a terminal and has a command line interface, so it
does take a bit of learning to get used to it.

Regards,
Tony.
E: tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk, H: http://www.man.ac.uk/Tony.Arnold