[ubuntu-uk] Awareness-Raising Campaign Idea (was Ubuntu CNR deal)

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Wed Feb 14 18:23:49 GMT 2007

Alan Pope wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 14, 2007 at 10:14:57AM +0000, alan c wrote:
>> Have you seen how absolutely difficult it is to get a PC *without*
>> windows?
>> For example, I believe that all of the Dell soho range are now
>> offering vista. Only.
>>

> Not strictly true. Try phoning them up rather than ordering them online. I know people who have ordered computers
> from Dell with no OS just by phoning and asking.

Really? I am surprised. There have been two detailed reports in recent
weeks about two individuals one in usa and one uk I think, who managed
to get a refund of the windows tax from dell. Each took about two days
on the phone it seems, but with preparation and skill, they were
successful.

Which type of computers did your contacts purchase, and do you think
the deal was of a form that could be made public? If so, I do not
understand why it has not apparently been publicised, it is
significant stuff, particularly with the Dell history of being
persuaded to avoid linux a few years ago after M. Dell had got
enthusiastic and bought into three linux related organisations and
started making linux noises.

I would like to publicise purchases such as you describe, if possible.
--
alan cocks
Kubuntu user#10391