[ubuntu-uk] Kodak launch refillable inkjet printers

Pat evilcorporation at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 22:43:17 GMT 2007

On 13/02/07, Daniel Watkins <D.M.Watkins at warwick.ac.uk> wrote:

> > 1. Why do you want to increase the profits of a company that uses
> > software patents to extort cash? Particularly given the threat that
> > software patents pose to Free Software.
> I'm not. I want them to Free their drivers.

This is what, so that you can hang it on the wall?

Or perhaps to run one of the printers that you bought from them - thereby
increasing their profits.

> 2. Persuading Kodak to open source their drivers is not a "win for the
> > Free Software movement" as you so "snootily" put it.  It's begging for
> > support from some company that has no respect for its users.
> It is a win for the Free Software movement. It is also begging support
> from some company that has no respect for its users.

Anything that helps patent trolls succeed in business is actually a
significant loss for everyone.

> How much of *your* work have you open sourced?
> None of it. I have released it all under the GPL or the LGPL,

Neat trick that - releasing code under the GPL without publishing the
source.